The Hawaii STEM Learning Strategy and Network
Improving and advancing the character of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics education to prepare all students for opportunities and challenges in our changing world.
What is STEM Education?
- STEM education integrates the study of science, technology, engineering and mathematics by using scientific inquiry and engineering design as unifying themes.
- STEM Education emphasizes innovation and the development of problem-solving, critical thinking and collaboration skills.
Why emphasize STEM Education?
- The STEM disciplines are infused within every facet of our society and play a major role in determining Hawaii’s future viability.
- STEM education develops tomorrow’s innovators who overcome the unforeseen challenges in health care, public safety, the economy, and the environment.
Goals of the Hawaii STEM Learning Strategy and Network
- Transform and revitalize the teaching and learning of science, mathematics and Career and Technical Education pathways in grades K-12 by purposefully integrating science and mathematics with technology and engineering.
- Increase the number of highly qualified and highly effective STEM teachers and advance HIDOE’s capacity to continuously support teachers’ professional development.
- Significantly increase the number of public school graduates who pursue or enter STEM-related careers or attain two- or four-year degrees in STEM fields.
- Increase STEM-foundational academic achievement and STEM learning opportunities for all students.
- Cultivate relationships with higher education institutes and with business, industry and community partners to expand and strengthen STEM education.
Visit the My STEM Hawaii website for more information and resources regarding STEM Education in Hawaii: